Friday, October 21, 2011

Breast Cancer survivor walks to raise money for research

 
Bonnie Heater Assistant editor
“Somewhere in the world, a woman dies from breast cancer every 69 seconds,” said Marilyn Norris, a breast cancer survivor. The Casualty Assistance Team leader at Fort Gordon was the guest speaker at the Garden City Chapter of Federally Employed Women’s monthly program held Oct. 11 in the Signal Towers Fish Bowl Conference Room.
The Army veteran and mother of two was diagnosed with breast cancer 14 years ago.
“I went in for my regular mammogram as I did every year when I was a Soldier,” explained Norris. “I was told the results were abnormal and I was sent to University Hospital in Augusta for a follow up appointment and biopsy.”

“I felt normal,” recalls Norris. “I didn’t have any pain or other symptoms at the time.”
The former Youth Challenge Academy platoon leader underwent surgery and radiation treatments. Today, she considers herself an advocate for Breast Cancer Awareness. Her personal story appears with other breast cancer survivors in Marcie Curry’s book, “Be a Strong Blessing.”
The court appointed special advocate for abused and neglected children in Georgia, participates annually in the Susan G. Komen three-day 60 miles Breast Cancer Walk which is held throughout the United States.
“I committed myself to walk in Atlanta, Ga., and to raise a minimum of $2,300 to help fight breast cancer,” said Norris. I started my own team this year – ‘Strong Blessing.’ We walk because we must; we are strong because the journey demands it. Together in body and united in spirit, we lay down our footsteps for this.”
Norris, who is also the first vice president/secretary of Cher Best Sister’s Only Club, a local civic organization, has participated in the Relay for Life, Miracle Mile.
This event sponsored the local Survivor’s Night of Fashion where cancer survivors modeled in the program to raise funds for breast cancer research and cancer care.
“It’s important to me to raise money to help fund research for breast cancer because I am a survivor and I know the fight and everyone deserves a lifetime,” said Norris. “Together we can work to put an end to breast cancer.”
For more information or to make a donation to the Breast Cancer 3-day, contact Marilyn Norris at (706) 466-2233 or visit the website: http://www.the3day.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment